Sunday, March 20, 2016

Ground Zero: A Zombie Apocalypse by Nicolas Ryan

Ground Zero: A Zombie Apocalypse by Nicolas Ryan

Aboard a freighter bound for Baltimore harbor, an Iranian terrorist prepares to unleash an unimaginable horror upon the United States. The ‘Wrath’ is an undead plague – an infection that consumes its victims with a maddening rage and turns them into mindless blood-thirsty killers.
Jack Cutter is just an ordinary guy dealing with a dreadful guilt when the virus tears through his home town. Before it’s too late, Cutter will have to find a way to survive, and find a reason fight:
HIS REDEMPTION.
 

Goodreads

Sumary


This one has been in my to listen to pile for too long. I purchased it shortly after it was released and there it sat. Then I listened to another audiobook by Nicholas Ryan, Die Trying, which by the way I loved. That only spiked my interest more, thinking that this guy Ryan has the zombie knack.
I so wanted to love Ground Zero: A Zombie Apocalypse it sounded, from the summary, to have everything that is needed to be a truly great story. But sadly I didn’t. Ryan tried to have a plot of terrorists attacking the United States with a zombie virus. With that it started off great, getting a glimpse of the terror plot. Then the outbreak begins, on the national news, a large crowd of protesters are suddenly transform into a horde of blood thirsty undead. Then we find that the virus as spread across the eastern seaboard. Still pretty good to this point.
Ryan has a special skill when writing about blood filled gory action scenes. They really got my heart pumping. But it seemed to be nothing but blood thirsty gory scene after scene. Because the characters were forgettable. Other than the breast fixation, that I remember clearly.
To me it seemed that Ryan was trying to hard to make something great. Taking too many queues from the old-school T&A horror flicks of yesteryear.
The performance by Vikas Adam was good, but nothing special. Adam has one of those deep booming voices that remind me of a news anchor. He delivered the story at a good pace, with decent characterizations. Unfortunately there was nothing extra special about this performance and very little to write about. However, I will be looking for more from Adam as I think there will be something special in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment